The Golfing Annual 1896-97 gives 25th January 1896 as the foundation date of the Club. The first President was Lt.-Gen. Dunham-Massy, the Captain was T. E. Willington and there were sixty members. History shows the East Yorkshire Regiment was stationed in the local military barracks during 1898 and 1899. The onset of the Boer War had a drastic effect on the club. The “Irish Golfer” reported on the 21st March 1900. “The Tipperary club is so depleted through its members having gone to the front that there is great difficulty in keeping up, even the name. The GUI has made the club an honorary member of the union so long as its members are fighting for their country.”
Originally located just outside the town in the Tipperary Hills the Club next moved to Crogue, then to Garnacanty before finally settling in its present location, Rathanny, in 1939. From very small beginnings Tipperary Golf Club has grown in stature and numbers. In 1994 the course was extended to 18 holes. Facilities have been continually upgraded and a beautifully refurbished clubhouse was opened in May, 2001.
Over the years Tipperary Golf Club has produced some very fine golfers. First of all, Thomas F. Ryan set the ball rolling winning the South of Ireland Championship in 1936. The Club’s most noteworthy amateur, Arthur Pierse, claims 4 major championships to his name while representing Ireland on over 100 occasions. In addition he has played on Walker Cup and Eisenhower Trophy Teams and was the best amateur at the Irish Open on 5 occasions . Of more recent vintage Pat Murray, Marion Riordan and Sarah Crowe have all won International Caps while John O’Donoghue, renowned as a great hurling goalkeeper, won Senior International Caps in 2003 and 2004.
What a great achievement for a small country club!